Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Policies of my Studio... EIGHT ITEMS WITH WHICH STUDENTS MUST BE IN AGREEMENT

As you can see above, I'm a friendly guy! I look forward to being your new teacher! :)


Dear potential students: 

Well, you've found the nicest, most versatile, scholarly, organized, flexible and patient teacher in town! (Wink.  Gotta toot my own horn just a little!)  You can study one subject or several in my studio.  So, already, you're getting the best value.  I'll do all I can to make your study affordable and do-able.  And, since I see my work as not just my my livelihood, but also an outreach to community, if you'll work hard, I'll stick with you (even if times in your life get tough)!  I look forward to hearing from you, meeting you, and beginning our lesson process together.  Please read carefully the policies and info below, so we can determine if we are a student/teacher match.  Ty for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you! 

Sincerely,
Michael :)

_______________________


EIGHT POLICIES FOR MICHAEL'S STUDIO
Answering your questions and providing important details


About us as student and teacher...
I do ask some things of my students (see below), but also offer many things that other teachers often do not. I do apologize if in some ways my policies seem strict, but over the years it has become apparent that certain rules are needed for the smooth and effective running of my studio. 
 
What if you must miss your lesson or you're running late?
Please call me if you can't come to a lesson (even if it's last minute) or you are running late. It really helps me to know what's going on.
 
How is payment to be made and what about the first lesson?
Your payment is due in advance for the month at the first lesson (or monster session) of each month.  Please place your check or cash under one of the paperweights on my living room coffee table.  If you bring cash, an envelope with your name on it is advised. 
 
Am I responsible for payment if I miss? What about make-ups?
Officially, the policy is that there are not makeups.  I have tried doing makeups in the past, but this is too complex and does not work well.  Students end up being cavalier about missing, I am run ragged with constant rescheduling, and I am not able to depend upon my income.  Your teacher must keep a roof over his head, if he wishes to continue teaching! :) 

So, the best way to think of your lessons is that you have a monthly in advance bill tailored to your budget, and you come as often as you can.  Lessons are a process.  Some months will be better than others in terms of attendance.  That is just how it is with lessons.  
 
If you cancel (or miss due to illness), please put your check in the mail. I might occasionally call to see if you'd like a makeup and sometimes I may just give you extra time, but you should not expect this.  College quality instruction, the excellent education and experience of your teacher, reasonable/flexible pricing, a course of study designed just for you, the possibility of multi-subject study, a scholarly but flexible approach... these more than compensate for payment when you miss.
 
What is the illness policy?
If you (or anyone coming with you) are not 100% well (i.e. sniffle/sneeze/cough free and finished with all courses of antibiotic), you are to cancel your lesson and you are still responsible for payment.  Again, your amount is tailored to your budget, you may get extra time, I might possibly call for a makeup, and there are many unusual compensations here in my studio.  Lessons are a process. It all comes out in the wash.
 
What if you want another lesson time or need to stop lessons?
Please don't be afraid to call me. I'm always nice! Choosing another lesson time is often possible. If you need to stop, just let me know.

What about refunds?
If you cease taking lessons in the middle of the month, there is not a refund for the remainder of that month. 

Is there a contract?
There is not a contract for lessons, and you may stop at any time. However, please tell me before the next month begins, or be resigned that you owe for the new month. This is only fair to your teacher, who must keep a roof over his head! :)
 
Thank you for your time and effort in reading these policies.  I appreciate greatly your compliance, since they are important to the smooth running of the studio and my ability to continue with teaching.  I look forward to our continued association as teacher and student.
Sincerely,
 

-Michael :)